Contributor: Safesite HQ 2 Jurisdiction: General
Use this safety meeting to go over safety during an active shooter event. Make sure to have your Emergency Action Plan to discuss exit routes in the facility and if you have an Active Shooter Policy i...
1. Active shooter incidents are hard to predict since they will occur without warning. However, there are ways to prepare in case one does happen at the workplace.
2. The first step is to call the police. However, there should also be a plan on who needs be alerted and how to let employees know of an active shooter situation.
3. Evacuate the area. Always know two exits and escape routes in every area of your job site.
4. If there are others in your area, show them the exits as well but do not wait for everyone to follow you. Exit as quickly as possible.
5. Once you have escaped, find your safe place or muster point.
6. If you can't escape, find a place to hide that you can lock or barricade.
7. Silence your cell phones and radios and stay away and out of site of windows.
8. When police arrive, they will focus on handling the shooter. Keep your hands in site of the officers, do not shout or point but follow directions.
9. Take a few moments to discuss in the group how you alert employees if there is an active shooter on your job site and other protocols everyone should follow.